Each year I attempt to start strong. This year I know I need a detox. And a 5 day fast is just what I need!
I need to detox from many negative inputs (physical, mental, relational, etc.) The idea of starting with a 5-day fast is consistent with my belief that nearly all personal development improvements begin with a physiological change (or improvement).
If you have been following State of the Spark for any length of time, you know that we believe in Igniting Lives of Explosive Significance. My own journey has proven that if you pursue your goals and dreams, then you’ll inevitably decide to do a side hustle or small business. And, if you have a side hustle or small business, you’ll desperately need a detox once in a while!
A 5 day fast will definitely help me detox.
- Insulin levels will drop to relative non existence.
- Liver fats will metabolize.
- Then, after the first full day, the coveted autophagy will begin.
- Sleep will improve.
- Stomach health will flourish (improving gut-barrier health, my bacteria health, eliminating candida and other bacteria which can be harmful when numbers are too high, and more.)
From those physiological benefits, the psychological benefits will kick into high gear.
- Focus will increase.
- Intensity to my goals will increase.
- Intuition-sensitivity will increase.
I’ve done this experiment before. These results are absolutely worth skipping a few meals.
But 5 days is more than a few meals. If you eat 3 times a day, its skipping 15 meals. Since I only eat 1 or 2 times a day, I will only miss 5 – 10 meals. But missing meals is missing meals, no matter what you’re accustomed to eating.
The Outline of my 5 Day Fast
- To prime, I will be doing Intermittent Fasting (IF) each day between now and the 6th for at least 17 hours each day, building up to 18 hours on the 5th.
- Also, I will ensure that I am completely sugar free, or keto, or Atkins, depending by the 6th. (This helps with cravings as when one is fat-adapted your body pulls from fat resources first!)
- I will allow black, unsweetened coffee, as it does not trigger liver hormones.
- If the full fast gets too intense, I will allow 1 afternoon of Bullet Proof Coffee.
- Coffee, coco powder, coconut oil, ghee/butter, whole milk, 1/4 cup of peanuts; blended.
- Typically less than 300 calories. (This will act to satisfy overwhelming hunger pangs AND keep me in ketosis.)
- I will continue my workout regiment until my body absolutely refuses to continue. At that point I will cease the workouts, but continue long morning walks and stretching.
- I will also drink 1 gallon of water a day.
Boom! That is how I am kicking off the part of the TLE (the Total Life Experience) for Fitness & Health for 2020!
Join me by joining us in our Facebook group – Goals, Gratitude and Small Business – where we support each other and hold each other accountable to the goals each of us are pursuing!